1 3/4 pounds boneless beef chuck shoulder or eye or bottom round steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced *
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups hot cooked pasta or rice for accompaniment
- Heat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef steaks. Pour off drippings. Season with salt, garlic powder, thyme and pepper.
- Sprinkle onion and jalapeno peppers on steaks. Add 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook in 325°F oven 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and bell peppers. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until steaks are fork-tender. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Cook juices over high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Cut steaks into serving-size pieces; place in sauce. Serve over pasta.
Makes 4 servings.
* The heat of peppers is in the membrane and seeds. If you prefer less heat, use a sharp paring knife to halve the pepper and remove the membrane and seeds prior to slicing.