Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
2 x 450g packets ready made, chilled creamy mashed potato
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and roughly chopped
2 tbsp flour
250g cod fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3cm)
250g salmon fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3 cm)
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
75g Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg lightly beaten
Carrot for hair (use zester to make long thin strips)
Salad cress for hair
Red pepper for lips
Baby sweetcorn for nose
Spring onion, mini cucumber and peas for eyes
Blanched French beans for moustache
Blanched cauliflower for ears
Cherry tomatoes for cheeks
Basil for bow-tie
1. Melt butter in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 mins.
2. Add the flour and stir for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the fish to the onion and tomato together with the parsley and bay leaf. Pour over the milk and season to taste. Simmer for about 4 mins until the fish is cooked through. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the cheese until melted.
4. Divide the fish between the ramekin dishes (makes 4 to 6 portions according to size of dish) and top with the mashed potato.
5. Brush beaten egg over the surface of the mashed potato.
6. Cook in an oven pre-heated to 180C for 15 mins and finish off for a few mins under a pre-heated grill until golden.
7. Decorate the pies with faces - children will enjoy designing their own if you give them a selection of vegetables.